Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Rolling Stone

Like a rolling stone
They say "a rolling stone gathers no moss," and here is picture proof of that Proverb.  We are on the move again, stopping to have a photo taken of me atop an ancient, moss covered glacial boulder in the Tweedsmuir Provincial Park.  We took our time descending the high plains area of the Chilcotin and going coastal.  The trip down the Freedom Road (or "The Hill" as the locals call it) was terrifying.  This is a volunteer-constructed gravel road that was bulldozed down the mountain in 1952 to connect the Chilcotin with the Bella Coola Valley.   I came face to face with a Grizzly while traveling this trail of a road---well, not quite a face off as I was in my car and observing from the safety of my backseat bed.  What a beautiful part of BC it is between Nimpo Lake and the western border of Tweedsmuir Park.  The rivers, the sloughs, the wildlife, the moss, the mosquitoes, and oh, did I forget to mention the bears??  We are now staying for three days in the beautiful Tweedsmuir Park Lodge, which began serving guests in 1929.  We are in the Grizzly Cabin!  I really like it here as I can view the mountains from the deck of the cabin or take a little hike down to the river and watch for salmon as they begin to spawn.  Next time I bring a fishing rod.  I think I might gather a little moss for a day or two before we set out on the next leg of the journey as I catch up on my sleep and ponder how I can best describe this most amazing place.


Green River - on the lookout for moose
Black bear
Freedom Road -- so named
because you are free to die
here!
Tweedsmuir at last
Vista from the Chilcotin Plain
Tweedsmuir Lodge

I inspect accommodations at Grizzly Cabin
 
Grizzly!!
Nimpo Lake - some great fishing here

 
A refreshing drink at Kettle Pond


My view from Grizzly Cabin at Tweedsmuir Park Lodge

  


No comments:

Post a Comment